Monday, April 13, 2009

My heart is empty right now...

Yes, this blog is about racing, but I am also a huge fan of the Philadelphia Phillies. The Phillies were the first sports team I ever latched on to, and to see them win the World Series last October was my favorite moment as a sports fan. As a Phillies fan you're conditioned to deal with disappointment, but no string of last place teams can help cope with the lost of the lost of the voice of the team.

I watched the resumed Game 5 with the television on mute. I wanted to listen to MY announcers make the call - especially Harry knowing he didn't get to call the first title. To hear it was pure heaven. It's difficult to believe it will no longer be heard in person again. I did get the chance to see him in person earlier this year, when he emceed the Philadelphia Sportswriters Association awards. It's open to the public, and my dad got tickets for me as a birthday gift. The food might have been the typical rubber chicken sort of stuff, but in hindsight to see and hear him in the flesh before he passed is something I can't forget.



R.I.P. Harry

No comments: